Another day, another write off

Ok, I'm ill.

Not made it to work today, and most of the weekend was written off under a duvet.

Sore throat, runny nose and constant headache means I'm not happy getting off the sofa, never mind strapping on my trainers, so this weeks plan is a bit up in the air.

I'm putting all my faith in the only drug, except caffeine, I'm comfortable taking - Lemsip (blackcurrant flavour as the other stuff is the drink of the devil).

Technically it's not a drug, but it does have paracetamol and phenylephrine hydrochloride in there.

I normally refuse to take any medication, even prescribed stuff, unless I really have to. My thinking that if you get used to taking stuff, then your body adapts to it so it won't work. Now, I'm not sure what scientific reasoning lies behind this, but I'm just not comfortable taking stuff for the sake of it.

In a weird way, training for the marathon backs me up on this.

I'm not athletic. Not sporty. In no way could I be described as "active".

But, I know that with a few months training, my body can get used to the demands of running and get me, reluctantly, 26.2 miles around London.
Link
Your body gets used to it, and much like taking the drugs, I'm not sure I want it to. If it did get used to it, would it mean the training would stop making a difference? No. It'd probably make it easier.

But, like taking drugs, I'll only do it for a specific purpose, when nothing else is going to help.

There comes a point when I can't keep refusing to take ibuprofen for a pain, and, like it or not, I'm going to have to get some serious training under my belt once I've got this latest setback behind me.

In the meantime, I shall be seeking inspiration from those other masters of becoming something they're not when it's called for. I am of course talking about Transformers.

If I find anything useful there, I'll be sure to let you know.