Sunday morning run

Yesterdays's 15 miler was a perfect example of why I sometimes have bad training runs.

I got up at 6am to get some porridge in me, and pottered about for an hour to digest it.

I set off, resenting the early start, and was pleasantly surprised by the nice weather.

Settling at a decent pace was hard. I think this is another problem I get when I'm carrying stuff - in this case drinks. I was trying a new route though so thought I'd get there eventually.

I started to grumble to myself about how annoying this was, which I knew wasn't helpful, but I couldn't help myself.

Half a mile before my turnaround mark, my stomach started to feel a bit weird. I just thought it was being odd as it was the morning, so tried to put it to the back of my mind, as I didn't need another mental roadblock holding me back.

On the way back, it happened again, and this time I had to stop as it felt like Etna was rumbling in there.

I started again, but at a slower pace as that seemed to make it easier, but that only lasted about 20 minutes until it felt like I was gonna explode.

There's a leisure centre on the new route, so I thought I'd try to pop in there as I passed it, but it wasn't open that early on a Sunday - which I found odd.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know much about leisure centres/gyms, but I just assumed they opened early so the keep-fitters could feel the burn nice and early.

In this case, I was wrong.

So I kept going - more slow-jogging than running now - in an almost bent over way.

I won't describe what happened when I went home, but it's certainly added something to my pre-run preparations, which now looks like this:
  • eat early, and give good length of time to digest
  • hydrate properly - before, during and after
  • mentally prepare for it, and try not to find the reasons it's hard
I need to try to get these right before every run otherwise the training won't be doing enough to get me round.

So, more planning before training runs needed!

Joyous.

No comments:

Post a Comment