Good luck e-marathoners!

So here it is, only one more night's sleep until tens of thousands of people run the London Marathon.

Twelve days ago, I was expecting to be one of them, but my knee had other ideas.

That doesn't stop me being excited though as I've got to know a hell of a lot of people who'll be running tomorrow – and quite a lot in only the last few weeks.

I want to use this post as a way of singling out a handful of those running who I'll be cheering hardest for as they make their way around the streets of London.

These are the e-marathoners who I've got to know best over the last few months. The ones who I was chatting to when there only seemed a handful of us, and the start line in Greenwich Park was months, rather than hours, away.

Jim was the first blogger I found online – his optimism and running ability seemed light years ahead of mine. But I think something in the Dales air where he lives made him seem friendly enough for me to say hello, and he's been a great encouragement ever since.

Neil is nothing short of inspirational. His honest posts on his progress have often expressed the worries and fears we were all feeling, but his natural optimism has always shone through. Seeing how far he's come since he signed up to run the marathon is amazing, and he's one of the nicest guys I've had the fortune to get to know.

Ulen's enthusiasm and willingness to share this experience throughout has been fantastic. It's been brilliant to follow his training, and reading about his delight at how he's progressed has been infectious. Whenever I felt a bit down, having another read through Everybody' Free (To wear Vaseline) has helped put the smile back on my face!

At first, I wanted to imagine Sam as the jaded journalist – unapproachable and sceptical about the world. Professionally, she might be – I don't know - but the humour in her posts has shone through, and the drive and determination will no doubt get her over the line.

I didn't know what to make of Becki at first – I don't really have a frame of reference for those attempting homemade rhino costumes! But she's been like a ray of sunshine through the winter, cheering us up when we were feeling down, taking on the challenge (mostly) with a smile and enthusiasm. Setbacks and unpleasantries are met with a laugh, and I hope she enjoys that sprint finish she's been looking forward to.

James' sense of humour has been brilliant throughout. His posts have always entertained, and his confidence and creativity would make me jealous if he didn't seem such a decent bloke! Funny, smart and thoughtful, I know he'll do well tomorrow, and am already looking forward to hearing about how it went.

Leigh, like Jim, was one of the very earliest blogs I read. Who could fail to be intrigued by a chicken-keeping scientist running the marathon? His cheery outlook on life, and his sense of humour fly off the screen and have probably put a smile on my face more than anyone else. His generosity at agreeing to be the 'substitute' runner for my charity when I found out I couldn't take part was humbling, but not surprising. He is a true gent, and sums up all that tomorrow morning is about – fun, charity and the love of a challenge – in one place.

There are other too I've come across later on – Dan, Becca, Julia, to name far too few – who I'll be rooting for as well.

It's been an epic few months, and although I'm gutted I won't be sharing it with you all in the morning, I'll be willing you along through every stride and am proud to have shared this time in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've ever been described as a ray of sunshine before! :)

    ReplyDelete